What to do if you have a complaint or dispute?
As a valued client, we want you to tell us if any of our products or services have not met your expectations.
Making a Complaint
If you have a complaint, tell us as it gives us a chance to address your concerns. We will investigate the complaint and answer your questions. Your complaint may be about your insurance policy, a claim, a privacy issue or relate to the conduct of our Authorised Representatives, Investigators, Assessors, or Loss Adjusters.
Steps to Making a Complaint
1. Please contact us and explain the problem. You will find the address and phone number of the office that handles your policy on your invitation to insure, policy documentation or letters from us. You can contact us by phone, in person or in writing. Please try to provide as much information as possible about the reasons for your complaint.
2. We will endeavour to provide an initial response to your complaint within 3 working days and gather all the relevant information.
3. In most cases we* will be able to provide a final decision within 15 working days of receiving your complaint provided we have all the necessary information. If we need more information or the matter requires investigation, we will advise you of how long we think this will take and agree a new time frame for responding to you. We will update you on the progress every 10 working days. If we cannot agree a new time frame then you can report your concerns to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
4. If you are not satisfied with our final decision, you have other options available such as:
- Seeking independent legal advice;
- Referring the matter to the department in your state or territory responsible for fair trading and/or consumer affairs; or
- Requesting a review of your dispute by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) within 2 years of receiving our final decision. FOS is an independent external dispute resolution service available to our policyholders to review insurance claims. FOS can advise you whether your dispute is one that falls within their terms of reference as not all customers and products are covered.
For further details you can visit their website www.fos.org.au or FOS can be contacted:
By mail: Financial Ombudsman Service
GPO Box 3,
Melbourne VIC 3001
By Phone: 1300 78 08 08
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
* CHU Policies are underwritten by QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited, ABN 78 003 191 035 (QBE). AFS Licence No. 239545, of 82 Pitt Street, Sydney 2000. Both QBE and CHU will undertake to provide an answer to your complaint within 15 working days.